Wednesday, February 12, 2014

You may be a runner if...

You know. Sometimes we have doubts about these things.

Here's a handy-dandy guide: Are you a runner?

You may be a runner if...

- You have Very Strong Opinions about shorts vs capris and when and where to wear each.
- And about running with, or without music.
- Your laundry contains more sports bras than regular ones.
- You own more sports bras than regular ones. (...ahem. guilty as charged...)
- Saturday morning long-run planning begins on Friday afternoon.
- Yours are the grimiest shoes in the gym. (What is this 'indoors' business?)
- Don't even get me started on shoes.
- You have planned at least one holiday around a race. (Hello, Tokyo Marathon! And Perth City To Surf!)
- You get annoyed when someone calls it 'jogging'.
- You don't NEED coloured cornstarch, zombies, or lightsticks to enjoy running, but will jump in for 'colour runs', 'zombie runs', or hen party runs with friends for a nice social affair
- You get more excited than your best friend about her upcoming first 5K.
- This is a real problem:

- You run. As in, you put one foot in front of another at a speed faster than your walking pace, putting some real effort into it, and you do all of this deliberately, day after day, of your own volition...and you enjoy it.

Any more suggestions?

---

I haven't blogged for three weeks - sorry, internets - and suddenly I have my very first race of 2014 coming up this weekend: the Marina 21K!
This was the one I ran into gastric trouble at two years ago and DNFed. Ow.
It starts at 7.30pm though so I haven't decided whether I'll fun-run it or race it. My circadian rhythm doesn't really like running at night, and my 13h/day work schedule this week isn't the most conducive to resting. But I feel fine, speedwork has been going well, I've been good about strength and stretching, and I've been quite consistent about running ~40km/ week since the Standard Chartered ekiden in December. So who knows?

I leave you with the highlight of my last weekend run:
Bad idea: running 12.5km after sleeping for 4.5 hours following a wild house-cooling party at a friend's house. (The difference between parties in your early 20s and parties in your late 20s: at the latter, not only does no one question your choice not to drink alcohol - which I don't at all for medical reasons - but they support you, no one pressures you to drink, and the host offers you tea.)
Good idea: running 12.5km to Sentosa
Bad idea: running to Sentosa via the Southern Ridges (what goes down must come up; I had to stop and walk on Mount Faber)
Good idea: OH HELLO MR MERLION

10 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that I need a race vacation soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind a race vacation either! And then a long nap on the beach. Too bad weather that's conducive to races isn't so great for lying on the beach.

      Delete
  2. I've been guilty about a lot of these. Really want to do Tokyo someday -- any excuse to go back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, you should do Tokyo! I loved it, and I love Japan, and I dream about going back :)

      Delete
  3. OMG sooooo much truth! Pretty sure my laundry is typically 80% running / cross training clothes at this point....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my rationale is: I sweat in these things and they have to be washed every single use; jeans do not....

      Delete
  4. Yes, yes, yes and yes. Especially the bras but. And the dirty shoes. And the running holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a running holiday! Sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  5. Sports bras make life worth living!!!! Proud of being guilty as charged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why I even own any regular bras any more... on all counts, they are less comfortable, even more delicate than sports bras, and I can't run in them!!!

      Delete